1. i went to see the midnight showing of the new Harry Potter movie last Tuesday.
2.we had no baby sitter (and dustin's not a big HP fan) so i went alone.
3. i stopped by the theater around 6pm to buy my ticket, b/c i knew they would sell out (all the other theaters in the area already had). i felt a little bit nerdy, purchasing my ticket for ONE to see Harry Potter...
4. as i was leaving around 11:30, Dustin waved goodbye to me from the porch, with sort of a "awww, bless her heart" look on his face. i asked him if he thought i was a nerd. he smiled sweetly and said, "well, yeah. a little bit."
5. the theater was PACKED. actually, all three theaters at the mall were packed. i had to go into two of them before i could find an empty seat, next to the wheelchair seating.
6. the first thing that i noticed was that the front row was lined with old,
grey white haired people. i thought that was a little strange. i knew i was a nerd for loving HP, but i just couldn't imagine my great-grandma staying up until midnight to catch the first showing of HP. weird, but kinda cool at the same time. but mostly weird.
7. the second thing that i noticed were the female (and a few male) voices, chanting, "HARRY! HARRY!" in between movie previews. as i had no inclination to chant along with them, i realized that i was less nerdy than i had previously thought.
8. also, i didn't cheer after each movie preview.
9. and i most certainly didn't erupt in wild applause when the opening credits began rolling. my heart sped up a bit and i felt that weird emotional surge, like i was a part of something fun...but i did not applaud. surely that makes me less nerdy also.
10. i ate popcorn and milk duds that i had to sneak in. and a bottle of vitamin water. the popcorn, a small size, cost $5. the milk duds would have cost another $4.25, but i had just enough time to stop by HEB and buy an 89 cent box before the movie started. i suddenly remembered why i haven't been to a theater movie in so long. the newly discovered "coupon clipper" within me shuddered as i felt myself hand over the crisp $5 bill for the popcorn. something about that movie theater popcorn smell is hypnotic. i don't just want it. i need it.
11. the small drink would have cost me another $4.75. i was so glad that i had a bottle of water in my bag.
12. i began to realize, that i am a very expensive date. even when i am solo. if i hadn't brought my own snack/drink, i would have cost around $24 to take to the movie.
13. after arriving home, i informed Dustin that i am NOT the nerd that we thought that i may have been. all based on my lack of clapping and "Harry" chanting. i then proceeded to scour the internet for fans movie reviews to see what other people thought about the movie....you know, because i didn't have any friends to talk about it with. i am pretty sad sometimes. :-) (2 more days til final HP book is released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)